Skip to content

WTF?

Are we really this stupid?

Share

22 Comments

  1. lexusOakland wrote:

    Unfortunately, yes… we are.

    Monday, September 6, 2010 at 12:46 am | Permalink
  2. Marvin wrote:

    I’m not this stupid… but I’m afraid many of my fellow Americans are. So easily manipulated. It’s sad.

    Monday, September 6, 2010 at 1:40 am | Permalink
  3. Cyn wrote:

    yes we are. we are a nation of idiots. sad & scary to say but true.

    Monday, September 6, 2010 at 5:56 am | Permalink
  4. Richard wrote:

    We learn from history that we do not learn from history.
    — George Wilhelm Hegel

    We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience.
    — George Bernard Shaw

    The only thing we learn from history is that we do not learn.
    — Earl Warren

    Amen.

    Monday, September 6, 2010 at 6:05 am | Permalink
  5. Jonah wrote:

    And I think the worst part is that technology is actually making things worse. With the click of a button someone can read a blog which paints a republican in a good light and vote for the republican. Just imagine if fox news spent money developing a search engine to rival google.

    Monday, September 6, 2010 at 6:18 am | Permalink
  6. Steve wrote:

    In 1.5 years Obama passed a bill that reduced debt over 20 years?

    Where is this temporal accelerator, and how can I get on board?

    Monday, September 6, 2010 at 6:43 am | Permalink
  7. Jonah wrote:

    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2010/03/cbo_health-care_reform_bill_cu.html

    Monday, September 6, 2010 at 6:45 am | Permalink
  8. Iron Knee wrote:

    Steve, in case you didn’t get it, Jonah posted the answer to your question.

    Monday, September 6, 2010 at 9:16 am | Permalink
  9. im afraid that the shitkickers and the hilbillys are thee dumbest people on this planet!!! they’re going to vote these republican lying a**holes right back. and at the same time when these idiots continue to wreck the economy they’re going to blame obama for it. bush ‘f’d this country up!! and its going to literally take years to correct!!!

    Monday, September 6, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Permalink
  10. Dan wrote:

    It’s not just the “hillbillys” – the establishment, including historians and analysts, live in a bubble where the American way of doing politics, in which the incumbent is always ousted no matter what the policies, is not only feted but is seen as the only way.

    The idea that politicians and parties should have a political platform of policies beyond “I’m not him” is sadly foreign in this land. It is probably an unfortunate consequence of a purely two party system, which is itself probably an unfortunate consequence of the details of the American electoral system and its history.

    Monday, September 6, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Permalink
  11. ZJD wrote:

    The current political climate in this country truly boggles my mind. Obama’s low ratings, polls showing unfavorable sentiment towards Democrats come November, ignorant simpletons lending credence to the likes of Palin and Beck… I just don’t get it.

    Are people’s memories really that short? Do they really not recall how thoroughly the Bush administration screwed up this country with the help (during his first term) of a Republican congress? Do they actually understand that voting against Democrats means voting for the GOP – the same GOP that has obstructed almost all legislation over the past two years and failed to criticize their increasingly vitriolic far right? The same GOP that has proposed few new ideas, that has in all too many instances pined for a return to Bush era economics and domestic policy? It’s insane.

    Monday, September 6, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Permalink
  12. Jonah wrote:

    Sharon angle being close to winning is a sign of how idiotic people are. Or maybe its a sign how badly reid has f’ed up.

    Monday, September 6, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Permalink
  13. patriotsgt wrote:

    IK and Jonah. Ezra’s article on HCR cutting the deficit is old. Everyone knows that version included the Medicare Dr. Fix cutting payments to them by 20% to get the #’s below 1 Trill. Everyone also knows that 45 days later Obama came out along with the Dem leaders saying we can’t cut payments to Docs that would be be nuts. They added it back in which wiped out the 134 billion reductin to the deficit.
    That was the first uh-oh they found (of many to come)although it was done on purpose to get the #’s they wanted.
    CBO can only score what data is given them. In the data are assumptions, they cannot change those assumptions, ie. the economy will grow by X%. They must run the numbers they are given. If anyone really thinks HCR will reduce the deficit, they need to stop smoking that medical marijuana.

    Business is the only way to truely pull our economy out of the dumps. Problem is business is on the sidelines, except those not spending their own money, ie. ones spending taxpayer money. The final costs for HCR, Wall st Reform, pending cap and trade, pending energy reform are all unknown costs and regulations. Business will not start investing their 2 trill cash until they know the rules and costs and prospects for future increase. Who would buy a house if the Gov said well we might increase your fees, and make you add some environmental gizmo’s and restrict what you can do with the property and recatorgorize the tax base and, and …..
    Would you?

    Monday, September 6, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Permalink
  14. INTHEFACEOFLIARS wrote:

    It baffles me that the republicans can convince a whole nation to vote against their own interest. You can have the American dream if you give me your money, you will just have to wait your turn. Your well being is not important at the moment, you just have to believe that when you get rich, you will have what I have. No taxes and the control of the rest of the idiots.

    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 at 9:01 am | Permalink
  15. c wrote:

    My only complaint, is that this piece couldn’t be copied. Other than that, A HOME RUN!! Spreading it around as we speak!
    Thanks!

    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 at 9:19 am | Permalink
  16. BTN wrote:

    I go along with the overall message of the cartoon, but honestly, Obama may be helping the middle class, but he is spending wads ands wads of their grandkid’s cash to do it (just like the politicians before him).

    PATRIOTSGT wrote: “If anyone really thinks HCR will reduce the deficit, they need to stop smoking that medical marijuana” and I couldn’t have said it better myself.

    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Permalink
  17. Iron Knee wrote:

    Well, I really think that Health Care Reform can and will reduce the deficit. It may take us a while to get there, but I believe we will get there. Not only that, but it will have tremendous savings in other areas, not just reducing the government’s deficit, but reducing the high cost of health care to people, reducing their personal deficit. I base this on cold hard evidence of what has happened in other countries, There is NO country that has switched to a single payer system that has ever even tried to go back to a for-profit system. If you doubt that, just try to suggest that we eliminate Medicare. I have lived under four systems in four countries (including for profit, two single payer, and completely government run) and there is no contest — our system is absolutely the worst in terms of results, and it costs way more.

    You can wave your arms and scream all you like, but there is absolutely no evidence to support your position that health care reform (even the wimpy reform that got passed because Republicans would not vote for it) will cost more than what we used to have.

    And frankly, I’m sick and tired of the “government can’t do anything right” arguments. I am a fiscal conservative, but that doesn’t meant that I think our government should be dismantled because it can’t do anything right. If you believe that, why don’t you try living somewhere that doesn’t have a government and see how you like it. Government isn’t perfect, but that just means that it is our responsibility to hold it responsible and improve it, to keep what works and fix what doesn’t. That is the meaning of patriotism.

    [sorry BTN, this isn't really directed at you.]

    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Permalink
  18. patriotsgt wrote:

    I guess its me then. Your right IK, once give aways are given you can’t take them back or else. (ie. all the protests accross europe because of unfunded pension and benefit plans, run by their Gov’s.) Similarly this will and is happening to our local and state union employees. Of course they can’t eliminate it because it would cause riots, civil unrest, (Greece). Big problem is the fed has enough of it’s own issues to solve concerning fiscal solvency like our SS is full of IOU’s, our medicare is full of loans current and future, HCR will be the same. For SS we will have to gradually increase the age of retirement, decrease benefits. Without the whole country paying the tax bill (and yes the top 1% paying their fair share)we will not be able to maintain.
    I absolutely want us to fix this problem, for my children not necessarily for me. HCR did some great things, many good parts but it can’t be funded on loans. Now another 50Bill infrastructure stimulus? WTF over. I thought the last stimulus (which increased by 100 bill) was supposed to go to shovel ready infrastructure projects. Come on now, I want our country to succeed, but really.
    The only way to get the economy back on track is to have a plan, we don’t. It’s like amateur hour in the white house. It’s desparation on the part of Obama to throw a last minute hail mary for a score.

    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Permalink
  19. BTN wrote:

    I think that we need real health care reform, but that includes (1) reducing the cost of the health care, not just what the cost is to the individual and (2) limits on health care (“death panels”). Transferring costs from the patient to the government is not a cost reduction. Also, there is no way that this country can afford the top health care for everybody, so it would be great if we could just admit this and then establish reasonable limits and guidelines. Also, litigation reform needs to be addressed to solve healthcare: part of the reason doctors charge so much is because of their insurance costs, and fear of litigation this also leads to numerous unnecessary tests.

    Again, I basically agree with PGT:
    1) socialist health care -> debt -> long-term problems
    2) Infrastructure stimulus is a GREAT idea – in theory. However, that is what the previous passed bill was supposed to be; I no longer trust Obama that another stimulus bill will be better spent than the first one. I was for the first one but against a second one for this reason.

    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 at 10:36 pm | Permalink
  20. Lawrence E Smith wrote:

    Will we ever learn—Absolutely NO

    Friday, September 17, 2010 at 6:29 am | Permalink
  21. Japanese Ghost wrote:

    Wow, I guess the best way to look at the posts here is “if you don’t think the way I do then you are an idiot” and the common “Americans are idiots”. So strange because what we are talking about is the American people voting for what they want.

    I will never believe anything any of you say because you think Jimmy Carter was a good president and Ronald Reagan was a terrible president. You lose ALL credibility with that stance.

    Oh, and it’s the democrats that want to take our money and spend it for us. It’s the Democrats that want to give Social Security to Illegal aliens not to mention citizenship and driver’s licenses. It’s the Democrats that are always talking racism where none exists. It’s Democrats that say the Tea party members are racist because they don’t have enough black representation yet say nothing when 97% of Blacks are Democrats. How are the tea Partiers supposed to get more blacks?

    To the Dems, and probably most of you here, racism is believing that skin color DOESN’T matter. Making it easier for blacks to get into school verses Asians, whites, or Mexicans is called “equality”. Not holding blacks accountable for the fact that 50% of the male population has felony convictions. Tearing Bill Cosby down (who practices racism) because he says the black community is not raising their kids properly. (He only hires black people and said he did not want his daughter to marry a white man).

    We didn’t get a watered down health care bill because the Republicans didn’t vote for it. We got that bill because if it had been any more what YOU people want (socialism) then EVERY Democrat would have been voted out of office. They passed what they whought they could get away with because they knew they were going to get the entire blame since they couldn’t get a Republican to join them.

    Monday, October 25, 2010 at 10:17 am | Permalink
  22. Iron Knee wrote:

    JG, do you have any facts to back up your claims?

    You’re obviously new around here, so let me say that we welcome all viewpoints and we have both liberals and conservatives, but most people in here are moderates.

    I think what people were saying in here was that Carter is a good, honest person. Reagan, on the other hand, publicly admitted that he lied to the American people about trading arms for hostages. “A few months ago I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and my best intentions still tell me that is true, but the facts and the evidence tell me it is not.” Is it a coincidence that the same hostages were one of the reasons people didn’t like Carter?

    “How are the tea Partiers supposed to get more blacks?” Are you saying that a black person, if they are already a Democrat, is not allowed to join the tea party movement?

    And actually, a majority of Americans wanted single payer, just like Medicare. The Republicans are now painting themselves as the protectors of Medicare. So does that mean that the Republicans are socialists and should be voted out of office?

    The problem with the current situation is that there is too much money going around telling people what they should believe. And the American people are no different than people in general — they are susceptible to propaganda. Read Dave Johnson’s article about 8 things that Americans believe are true (because Fox News and the Republicans keep repeating them), but which are absolutely false.

    http://institute.ourfuture.org/blog-entry/2010104222/false-things-public-knows-they-go-vote

    Well, at least I don’t think you’re an idiot because I disagree with you.

    Monday, October 25, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Permalink